[iTunes] 10GB 2nd Gen iPod Hard Drive Replacement

Greg McNeil gmcneil99 at mchsi.com
Fri Mar 25 19:01:00 PDT 2011

Hi List,
For some reason I can’t give up my second generation iPod and am once again replacing the hard drive.  I have done this twice before with new drive purchased on eBay  with great results, but this time I went with used drives (I’m on the 3rd one) and all three make the click of death.  The iPod has been recognized by iPod Updater with all three drives installed, but says the drive needs to be initialized and opens Disk Utility.  After telling Disk Utility to initialize the disc the process starts, but stalls right away and the drive makes the click of death until disconnected.

My question.  Is there anything else about the iPod which would cause this problem or have I gotten 3 bad drives?

Thanks,

Greg