[CUBE] Cube overheats

Stephen Maris info at srm-consult.com
Tue Nov 26 00:17:43 PST 2002

Randy, 48C is not that bad. 50C is considered a normal operating temp
for many ICs. Check with your PC friends running a 1-2GHz Pentium
what they are seeing.. I would say near 60C is getting too hot.

I don't believe overheating is causing your crash. I had/have  a
similar problem with one of my CUBEs. it was the same symptom, when
it was hot it would shut off. turned out, this is the result of the
power switch on top, which is electrostatic sensitive. when I cooled
the cube with a small fan blowing in the bottom, things ran. without
the fan it would shut off.
With the case open, things worked fine. you can test this theory, by
disconnecting the switch on top the cube and closing the case.

a comment below about blowing air 'down' the chimney is wrong. this
is fighting the natural convection, which causes hot air to rise, so
it would be fighting nature.

I have a small quiet internal fan installed, since I'm running dual
500 G4s. they show also 48C at this moment.
There has been other comments about the electorstatic switch on
top.there is a also a gasket from Apple that should fix most
problems, but not all.
hope this helps.