[CUBE] Cube overheats

Randy Spencer israndy at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 26 05:35:48 PST 2002

--- Rick Rodman <richard.rodman at verizon.net> wrote:
> I recommend a fan.  You can get the Panaflo model which is extremely
> quiet.  I have a noisy peecee case fan which I haven't bothered to
> replace because I'm  hard of hearing.  48C is very hot.  Make sure you
> have plenty of open space around the cube and the "muffler".

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions, the one I liked the best was to use a
USB fan, anyone know what pins would drive a standard computer fan?

> The term "crash" is a rather loose term, actually.  Do you get mouse
> freeze?  Screen going blank?  Sudden shutdown (power off)? Blocky
> pixels overwriting the screen?  Sad mac with hex numbers?  Blue screen
> of death?  Kernel panic?  Are you running mac os 9 or mac os X?

Mac OS X, and I get freezes, but more often I get programs not responding to
input even though the mouse still moves, the lollipop of death I guess, the
pointer just keeps rotating, I can leave it 24 hours and it doesn't come
back.

I wanted to see how hot my computer could get so I have run Graphing
Calculator for the last 24 hours and it got to 50 degrees once and averaged
48, when I am surfing the web, like now, it's 36.  Perhaps I have just been
unlucky and had two hard drives go bad on me and just imagine it's something
else...

> Some of the old macs played a sound of a car crash - I've never heard
> it and I'd like to someday, if someone knows how to produce it
> intentionally.

I used to hear it all the time when I powered up a Mac with no memory installed.

=====
Randy Spencer (http://geocities.com/israndy)
Citrus Insight #5427  510 748-0463