Powerlogix upgrade, fan issues

Joel Pelletier joelp at joelp.com
Sat Nov 30 10:53:28 PST 2002

I have been extremely happy for over 2 years with my 450 Cube, and will
ONLY replace it one day for a 1gig (or higher) Titanium Powerbook with an
external ADC connection. From the moment I purchased it I put in 1Gig RAM
and an 80GB IBM Deskdtar 7200 drive (oh, and a 22" Cinema screen, which is
truly wonderful). Earlier this year I upgraded to a GeForce3 64MB video
card, which added fan noise, but improved scrolling and redraw speeds
dramatically (since I still run only 9.2.2, any extra video ram would be of
no use). I am watching the Powerlogix upgrade cards for the 2nd generation
(so the first generation experiences a price drop). If I install the 1gig
upgrade, which has its own fan, do I need to keep the fan on the video card
running as well, or can I disconnect it? I have NEVER had heat problems
with the unit (and miss the VERY quiet old but slower video card), and only
keep some little 1/4" rubber feet on each corner to raise it up a bit and
allow for a bit more venting.

Joel Pelletier
http://www.joelp.org