[CUBE] Busted Ethernet

Sergei Zak mancubus at macbox.ru
Mon Mar 10 06:37:25 PST 2003

Seb emitted a stream of electrons translating into this:

> I know there have been posts about this before, but I've looked through the
> archive and haven't found a satisfactory answer...
>
> I have a Cube with 10.2.4 installed, and the Ethernet doesn't work. I'm not
> even getting connection lights on the router.
>
> When I boot up, the computer pauses for a little while on "Initialising
> network" - and at this stage I have lights on the router. After about 15
> seconds, it gives up and continues booting up, and the lights go out.
>
> Occasionally, it gets past the initialisation stage, only for the lights to
> go out when the desktop loads.
>
> I've tried zapping the PRAM a few times (the first time, I thought I'd fixed
> it - I got an ethernet connection, but when I tried pinging, only about 1 in
> 3 pings were getting through.
>
> Can anyone please help? I'm either interested in getting the ethernet port
> working, or connecting something like a USB-ethernet adapter (are there any
> compatible with OS X?). For a number of reasons, AirPort is not an option.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Seb

I think it's caused by errors during speed/duplex negotiation for the Cube's
port. Please check your network device manuals and adjust accordingly
(disable auto-neg if possible, or change mode). Or you may want to put a
cheap hub between them and leave it like that.
--
Size matters.
Xserve™ from Apple.