[CUBE] Off topic: AVI

Riba riba at hi.hinet.hr
Sun Jul 11 14:59:19 PDT 2004

On Jul 11, 2004, at 23:43, Leif Joel Örell wrote:

> Hi Cube-users,
>
> I used to be able to play AVI films on my Cube but now it's not
> working.
> I have reinstalled OSX 10.3 to get rid of some strange behavior, I did
> "Archive and install" and kept my user files.
> The old system was also kept as previous system. When everything
> worked fine I deleted Previous System and now AVI files doesn't work
> in Quick-Time. There must have been a AVI plugin in the old System
> that enabled me to view AVI films, but Quick-Time says it cant find
> any plugins that will work with AVI files.
> Where do I go fore an AVI plugin and are there other plugins that I
> need for viewing other formats?
> Are there different qualities?

it could be that you used ffmpeg or something similar. But my
suggestion is to forget about quicktime player and do yourself a favor
and download mplayer for osx which will play all kinds of avi files
more smoothly than quicktime, and supports many more formats. You might
also want to try VLC (videolan client) which is also wonderful.