[CUBE] Off topic: AVI

Peter Stein stein at gci.net
Sun Jul 11 15:39:27 PDT 2004

Joel,

Just like with quicktime, there has to be consideration of the many
different codecs that exist within the AVI spectrum. Since OS X/Quicktime
does it's best to be current (and I don't have Panther to know any 10.3
stuff) I don't guarantee anything but it is possible one of the codecs
previously installed did not survive the "archive and install".

Open the AVI file in quicktime, ignore the error. 'Get Info/Properties
(apple-J)' for the AVI from within Quicktime. Choose 'Video Track' on the
left, then 'Format' on the right. What type of Data format is the movie?

Possible culprit codecs:
DivX
Windows Media Codecs

You can go to DivX for your updated codec... http://www.divx.com/divx/mac
You can download the latest WMP v9... (long URL - combine to use)
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx +
?pid=download&location=/mac/download/misc/winmp_osx.xml +
&secid=80&ssid=8&flgnosysreq=True

There is more to this but I would rather link than get too deep this early.

Hope it helps,

stein