[Cube] G4 no start?

Dave Cunningham cngnhmwa at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 24 16:12:30 PDT 2006

huh. i have never had a lick of problems. suggest making sure that
everything is securely seated after shipping, and that on-board
batteries meet spec. some macs are quite finicky re prom [at least
that's what i've always called them] batteries that maintain life
functions. my 9600 [still running as a dual g3, but smooth] needed a
cuda reset following some upgrades. i don't know just now if the cube
board has a cuda circuit or button, but... istr there was something
out there. aha. a quick google indicates the cuda circuit continues
in the g4, and can certainly be a cause for non-starting. i suggest
you use google as your friend and discover what you can.

my cube is currently a dual 1.6 ghz powerlogix cpu, with 1.12 gb ram,
a 300 gb seagate barracuda hd, and a geforce 3 with 128 mb of ram
driving a dell 2405fpw flatrscreen. plus various usb and firewire
drives plug in on a regular basis. i'm ashamed [sort of] to say that
it sits on the bar here utterly caseless. i pulled it out of the case
originally because i was doing the dc board move to fit the geforce,
then i scored a powerlogix [?] case upgrade, but really didn't like
the loss of the slick stock click in and out style. so i just sat it
down on the bar. last year. easy to blow the dust out, good
ventlilation, no problems with airport connections. funky appearance
good to start conversations when anyone drops by [no one ever does]
about on the lines of 'what the hell is that?' and my wife doesn't
complain... about the cube, anyway

the geforce has a tiny fan, and the cpu has a larger fan. i
appreciate the desire to be utterly fanless, but i find these guys to
be so innocuous as to be negligible. i have to run a variety of
windos box at work, and they are each and every all so very noisy
[the hard drive on the p2 gateway i am expected to use as the main
machine makes more noise with its harddrive. i can _hear_ those 0's
and 1's bumping up against the magnets in there! or something.

regards to all the cubists out there, and sorry if this was so off-
topic. bottom line? i do so love my cube. get yours working and you
will, too. ffr, a ups between your machine and the lines. check
costco, or such. you'll be glad you did.

dave cunningham