[Cube] Cube power supply failure

Stefan no-spam at punkt-x.de
Mon Sep 25 00:54:25 PDT 2006

Hi John

>2nd proposed solution: Don't expect to drive a big LCD monitor (17"
>or 23") from a Cube, without burdening the power supply. My own 1.8
>GHz Cube has a 23" Cinema Display (acrylic) attached. To escape any
>power supply problem, I put a ADC-to-DVI adapter on the Cube,
>followed by a DVI-to-ADC adapter. Then the Display. This way,
>the Cinema Display is powered externally, and not from the Cube's
>power supply.

I did that with my cube in a similar way with the second ADC-DVI-Adapter.
Then I was told by an apple technician that the power for the display
doesn't come from the DC-Board, but comes parallel directly from the
"power brick".  Hope, this is right.
The main problems would be: Processor upgrades and graphic-card
upgrades, not a display (?)

Since that time my situation has changed, I'm using a DVI-Monitor
with own pwer supply.

>3rd proposed solution (not that you asked): To keep heat to an
>absolute minimum, I've removed the (400 GB) Hard Drive from the
>Cube, and installed it in an external FireWire enclosure outside the
>Cube. It boots the Cube just fine from a FW cable. With a (quiet)
>fan inside the Cube... and the H/D outside the Cube... and the
>Cinema Display not depending on the Cube's power supply... my Cube
>is fast, silent, and cool.

How can you use a 400 GB HD intern? With this special driver or partitions?

>If anyone can point out how to install more than 1.5 GB of RAM in
>this machine, I'll have it pretty much knocked.

You can't as far as I know.

>Many thanks!
>
>John

Best wishes