[Cube] Cube power supply failure

John H. Lincoln jhlincoln at mac.com
Sun Sep 24 23:38:36 PDT 2006

1st proposed solution: Replace the VRM (Voltage Regulator Module)
board. Search on eBay  for a replacement.

2nd proposed solution: Don't expect to drive a big LCD monitor (17"
or 23") from a Cube, without burdening the power supply. My own 1.8
GHz Cube has a 23" Cinema Display (acrylic) attached. To escape any
power supply problem, I put a ADC-to-DVI adapter on the Cube,
followed by a DVI-to-ADC adapter. Then the Display. This way, the
Cinema Display is powered externally, and not from the Cube's power
supply.

3rd proposed solution (not that you asked): To keep heat to an
absolute minimum, I've removed the (400 GB) Hard Drive from the Cube,
and installed it in an external FireWire enclosure outside the Cube.
It boots the Cube just fine from a FW cable. With a (quiet) fan
inside the Cube... and the H/D outside the Cube... and the Cinema
Display not depending on the Cube's power supply... my Cube is fast,
silent, and cool.

If anyone can point out how to install more than 1.5 GB of RAM in
this machine, I'll have it pretty much knocked.

Many thanks!

John

John H. Lincoln
Digital Media Designer