DV Format incompatibility on a PC

e.behme at kreativedvd.com e.behme at kreativedvd.com
Tue Jan 14 06:12:00 PST 2003

Great list, by the way, for a lurker from Germany!

Here's one that stumped me:

I captured a file from a miniDV camcorder into iMovie and then  -via
QT Pro - exportetd it as a DV file (not DVCAM) and burnt it on two
DVD-R blanks for a PC using friend. He was going to use Pinnacle
Studio 8 to add sound and prepare it for Video-DVD.
Seemed straight forward enough, even though it took some time. One
problem was that iMovie  cut the 30minute movie into 2GB chunks, but
that one I can live with.

He just called me and said that Pinnacle didn't open the file
automatically and when he tried to select it from inside Pinnacle, he
was told the format was unrecognizable.
What gives?
Does the PC only recognize DV files called .avi? Is there a way to
rename a .dv file to .avi? Or does it have something to do with
MicrosoftDV being a proprietary format?

Since he is not very computer savy, he can't be of much help, so I am
in need of some clarification. (By the way, it is a PAL file, but
that shouldn't have any bearing, I guess.)

ciao for now

eckhard