[Duo2400] Various 2400c Questions

Gregg Eshelman g_alan_e at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 17:39:20 PST 2003

--- CJPV <c_j_p_v at yahoo.com> wrote:
<clip>
> 3.)Any recommedations for USB 1.0, USB 2.0, and
> Firewire cards for the 2400c? I know that my 2400c
> has to be Cardbus enabled.

Most of these cards have to be removed before
shutting down or putting the 'book to sleep and have
to be inserted either after fully booted or at
a certain time during boot.

> 4.) If I stick any of the aforementioned Cardbus
> cards into a non-Cardbus 2400c, what will the
> result be?

Nothing. Nothing bad anyway.

Remember that the PCMCIA designed the 16bit PC Card
interface for x86 machines, based on the 16bit AT ISA
bus. The newer 32bit CardBus specification is based
on the 32bit PCI bus, again originally designed for
the x86 platform, mainly by Intel. Both PC Card and
CardBus (and PCI) are "little endian" while the Mac
is "big endian". Data transfers between the Mac and
those busses from the PC parts bin must go through
a "byte flipper" to re-order the data so it will be
properly understood on both the Mac and the peripheral
sides. Of course that's built into the Mac hardware
and operates "invisibly" to the user.

=====
"You never have to repair or replace what you leave out of the design."
William "Bill" Powell Lear, inventor of the 8-Track tape and the Lear Jet.