[Duo2400] Re: Duo Keyboard, battery and screen.

T (W) Virkkala virkkala at wirkman.com
Thu Mar 27 21:44:31 PST 2003

Previously:

> >I still haven't decided whether to get a Duo or not. On the one hand I
> like
> >them because they're just so funky, can take 40Mb RAM (540c does 36Mb)
> and
> >are small enough to cart just about anywhere, but on the other hand, they
> >sound like they can be a real PITA to live with.

> Eh, I use and love my 280c quite a lot. THough I also lucked out and got
> battery that lasts 1.5-2 hours, which helps. With a type-F keyboard, it's
> tolerable if not ideal. It's not terrible carting around one of the small
> ADB keyboards and a floppy adapter. One of these days I plan on doing the
> ADB port mod, since I never use the modem anyway.
>
> If you get used to the limitations and understand them fully, it's a very
> nice little machine.

I take mine (a 280c) from the office to home and back all the time. I often
write in bed. It's easy with a Duo. At work, I simply put it in the Dock,
and switch between my main computer and the docked Duo.

It's small and does what I want.

Someday when I get (or jerry-rig) a working battery, it'll be GREAT! But
it's often possible to plug in my Duo on the road. For instance, when I
train up to Seattle, I often plug it in and get some work there. And even
the train station in where I catch it has wall sockets for power. (Amtrak
is often late.)

So, it's fine as a secondary machine. I've not bothered to hook it up for
the Internet, though it would do that (if slowly) too.

It helps not having high demands on processing power. I guess I'd like a
2300c so I could use my copy of Finale (a program that requires PPC). But
Word, Excel and SimpleText are my mainstays for what I do. So the 280c is
fine for me.

By the way, my 280c came with LotusNotes installed. But I apparently
destroyed all the help files for it. Does anyone know anything about
LotusNotes for Mac? I couldn't find it for sale now, much less get some
information on how to use it.

¢¢

"I junk all emails that aren't ASCII"