[DuoList] Retro Challenge

Ken Gillett ken at ukgb.net
Wed Mar 30 23:57:07 PST 2005

But with OSX you hardly ever need to start it up 'cos it never crashes.
So you never get to see any startup logo anyway - unlike OS9 which was
far from what we can now think of as stable.

I never had a problem with the way the Mac looked (unlike Windoze which
has always looked like a kid got loose with a paintbox), but I could
never bemoan the loss of the happy Mac considering what we got in
return.

As for needing Linux, although I do still run it on other machines, I
can't help feeling it's somewhat unnecessary now that I have all that
available with OSX, AS WELL AS having the Mac interface.

Best Of Both Worlds

Which is ironic as BOBW was an internal codename for the original Duo:-)

> On Mar 30, 2005 6:47 AM, R. McFarlane <duolist at mcfarlanecomputing.net>
> wrote:
>> At 10:32 AM 3/29/2005, Goodwin, Greg P., had this to say :
>>
>>> OS X is the first OS to not have the happy Mac at startup.  No
>>> "Welcome to
>>> Macintosh" anymore.  Well that sucks!
>>
>>          That was the first thing I noticed about 10.2 (or did it
>> change in
>> 10.1)! The happy Mac was an instant "welcome" to the computer when you
>> watched it boot up. Made the Mac feel more "user friendly". And I
>> agree! It
>> does suck to see it go! The new startup "logo" is too impersonal and
>> "stuffy business like".

Ken  G i l l e t t