[DuoList] 2400c Floopy Drive

Michael Belless purple_ghost at utahweb.com
Sat Nov 26 08:05:01 PST 2005

Uh.  May  not be the same problem.   The solution the problem I had was a
lot easier than taking a floppy drive out or apart.

Mine was a mechanical problem with the floppy drive.  I could insert the
floppy about six tenths in and it was blocked up.   I realized the problem
was in the mechanical parts that pushed the slide on the floppy back.   I
took a floppy disk, that I did not want anymore.  I pushed the slide into
the open position, then taped it down with scotch tape.  I made sure no end
of the scotch tape was sticking up so it would not hang inside the drive.
I pushed the floppy in.  It went in all the way.  I pushed the button, the
floppy came out normally.  The problem was that the actuator arm to push the
slide open was stuck in the position that a floppy was already in the drive,
when the drive was empty.   As I was afraid of having sticky stuff inside my
drive I threw the floppy away.

Anyhow.  I have formed a theory of computer repair that the first thing to
do with a problem is to resequence the operation back to the beginning.
Has fixed the things I can fix without taking it apart.  Same with software.
Try again.  Try again.  (Like installing a modem driver in Windows).
(Windows can act like a five year old child, must be told multiple times to
do something).  Re-Start program.   Re-boot.

Anway.  IF this does not work.  Then please describe the problem as
accurately as possible. Floppy not mounting might be a reference to a
software problem.

Happy Saturday.