[G4] Backup Strategies -- CCC

John S. Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Apr 3 00:50:04 PST 2003

On 4/2/03, David Crandon <tdc at attbi.com> wrote:

> Let me restate my problem. Every month, I want to make a complete
> bootable backup of my main hard drive to the backup drive. I don't want
> an incremental backup, but a complete backup, or copy, of my main drive.
>
> In addition, I have a folder on the backup drive that I have put there
> separately. It's not on my main drive and I don't want it erased from
> the backup.
>
> Again, unless I'm mistaken, the easy way to do this with CCC is to
> discard everything on the backup drive each month except that one folder
> I want to keep, and then use CCC to make a copy of my main drive onto
> the backup drive.

You're missing the point. The only way to discard everything on the backup
drive is to erase/reformat the drive. Selecting every visible thing except
the folder you want to keep DOESN'T	get rid of the myriad hidden/invisible
files and folders that are part of an OS X installation. All you have to do
is clone the source to the target and ensure that you haven't checked the
the Delete Items not on source options in preferences.

HTH