[G4] Clean Install clean up

Steve O'Neill steveo at omsoft.com
Tue Apr 22 08:48:57 PDT 2003

Yes, this is a "permission issue".  Root is the SuperUser, who can do anything,
even things Administrators can't.  OSX normally does not enable login as root,
but you may need to do that to delete the folder in X, unless you can open "Get
info" on the folder, choose ownership and permissions, change its ownership to
yours, then delete it.  I don't know if you can because I don't have such a
folder at the moment, it depends on if you have permission as admin to take
ownership (I think you can).

Anyway, if you do enable root, be careful; with unlimited power comes unlimited
responsibility :-).  To login as root, open a terminal window and type "su" and
it will ask you for a password.  To log out (back to your regular login), type
"exit".

You can chdir (change directory) to the directory that contains the one you want
to delete, then login as root and use the "chown" (change owner) to what ever
you want.  Use "man chown" (show me the "manual" for the "chown" command) for
more info.  Use "man su" for more info on logging in as the superuser (whose
name is root).

All file names and commands in unix are case-sensitive: "CHOWN" for example,
will not work, nor will "chdir /Bin" (should be "/bin").

You don't need to be root to do most of the above, either.  If you get an error
message on something that should work (permission denied) login as root and
you'll be able to.  Remember that this permission thing is a *very_good_idea*;
if you don't have permission, OSX is protecting itself and other users from you.

Or, as you say, you can bypass protection altogether and delete it from OS9.
That's what I'd do.  Not classic, but a booted OS9.  That's what I used to move
those pesky "mach*" files the first time I made my Mac unbootable :-).