[G4] G4 ATA Hard Drive Question

Perry The Cynic perry at cynic.org
Fri Aug 29 22:50:21 PDT 2003

ATA 100 drives work just fine with an ATA 66 controller (they act as ATA 66
drives, which is no performance loss). The one gotcha is that ATA 66
controllers can't deal with more than about 132GB (gigabytes) of disk, so a
160GB (or larger) ATA 100 disk will not be able to use its full capacity.

Conversely, an ATA 33 drive could be used in your ATA 66 controller fine
(at 33 speed). That you may even notice, if the drive is fast. :-)

Cheers
  -- perry

--On Friday, August 29, 2003 11:17 PM -0500 Ron Michael