Scanners with Mac OS X native drivers

Mel mkrewall at mac.com
Sat Jan 4 20:59:11 PST 2003

I hope this group can help guide me to a good scanner. I need to
purchase an inexpensive scanner for a small non-profit that I work
with. I picked up a Canon LiDE 30 because it said on the box that it
has a native plug-in for Mac OS X. When I was trying it out with
PhotoShop Elements 2 however, it was very unreliable at connecting to
the USB scanner. The CanoScan Toolbox worked very nicely in Classic,
but the OCR software didn't seem to work, telling me part of the
installation was corrupt no matter how many times I installed it. It
seemed to want an old version of CarbonLib. Canon has no OS X native
CanoScan Toolbox, either, which is a very nice program. I like the OS X
driver that my Agfa 1212 has, but Agfa seems to be out of the consumer
scanner business. Can any of you out there recommend a scanner with a
full complement of Mac OS X tools, or should I stick with the Canon in
hopes the OS X driver will improve. It seems to work pretty well in
Classic and we probably wouldn't use the OCR software much, but I hate
to be left behind with something I just bought. Thanks in advance for
any help.
Mel Krewall