Firewire cards and deep sleep, was: Re: [G4] Help! G4 price comparisons

Andrew T. Lynch atlynch at mac.com
Thu Jul 17 14:09:17 PDT 2003

Hi Sean,
I have tried two different MacAlly PCI Firewire cards, and both prevent
deep sleep with a "Deep Sleep prevented by non power managed pci
firewire card" message in the log. One of these cards was labelled for
Mac OS X, and the other was not.  Both worked well, with the exception
of the sleep problem. I spoke to someone at Wiebetech when I was
considering buying one of their cards, and came away with the
impression that it could be my machine, rather than the card. He also
tried to convince me that it was a bad idea to allow a machine with
external firewire hard drives to sleep, regardless of the support
provided by the cards.  Since all I needed was more firewire ports, I
ended up buying an external hub, which ended the experimentation.

-Drew

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 11:52  AM, Sean wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Andrew T. Lynch wrote:
>
>> I would not count on the FW800 card being a reasonable solution
>> (assuming you need FW800).  In my G4/450DP, I am yet to find a FW400
>> card that does not prevent deep sleep.
>
> I thought the deep sleep problem was corrected with either a Firmware
> or
> OS revision?? or is this just something with a particular 3rd party
> card?

> digest.

> Cameras |

> $879!

> http://www.osxfaq.com

- Andrew T. Lynch
- Chief Zymurgist/Manager US Technical Services
- Verisity Design Inc.
- (650)934-6875