[G4] 3 Problems: Mac Extended keyboard & Menu Bar Application

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Nov 11 11:35:09 PST 2003

On 11/10/03, Erik Justus Paiewonsky <erikpaie at online.no> wrote:

> Problem of a different Nature:
> How do I go into Unix and erase files in Trash that refuse all other
> suggested possibilities, (such as key combinations, onyX, Stuffit
> Secure Delete etc)? I am a total newbie in command-line instructions,
> so a step-by-step would be much appreciated.

Double-click on the Dock's trash icon.
Open Applications->Utilities->launch the Terminal application.
At the prompt, usually "username"%, type "rm -R" followed by a space.
Then go to the trash window, select one item, and click and drag the
selection into the Terminal window

This should give you something like:

username% rm -R /Volumes/Applications/.Trashes/501/"file1"

use the delete key to remove the "file1" entry, leaving you with:

username% rm -R /Volumes/Applications/.Trashes/501/

Hit return-that should delete everything in trash