[G4] defraging a Mac (the 85% rule)

Michael L. Brown brownml at adelphia.net
Mon Apr 5 12:51:52 PDT 2004

>I am probably going to hammered for this one but here goes. Besides
>fragmentation there has also been a general consensus to always keep at
>least 15% of your hard drive un-used. What does this have to do with
>fragmentation. Ok so I can't remember were I read it but I did. Think it was
>Macfixit. But when a system writes to the hard drives directory the
>directory needs to use continous disk space. The directory cannot be
>fragmented. If a hard drive is so full that when rewriting directory
>information it (the directory) can become corrupt. I look forward to others
>views on this, Wayne.

Wayne, you probably saw the excellent write up of HFS+ and its limits
by MicoMat3, in the Hints and Tips section of the MacFixit Forums.
URL is:

http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum38&Number=570808&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

Other than that, Brian's refrigerator analogy is pretty good. If you
put that gallon of milk on top the saran wrap over the bowl of rice
pudding, you are going to have a mess for sure!

Mike
--
Almost never pointless.