[G4] Uninstalling [Was: Palm Again - Fixed and How]

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 26 12:09:39 PST 2004

At 12:14 PM -0500 3/26/04, Alex wrote:
>Uninstalling is one thing. Upgrading is another.

Can you elaborate? My mental model previously was
that to upgrade you had to have a recent version of the same
program installed, and that an upgrade was usually just new
features added on. But this may be dead wrong.

In fact, due to stupid behavior I have lost my Dreamweaver 4
CD and was thinking if I needed to re-install DWMX due to a crash
I'd be in trouble without DW4. (I put the manual in on top of the
CD in the box and snapped the CD in half by mistake. Do I get
a prize?)

>You've hit upon a weakness in Mac OS. There is no system facility for
>uninstalling applications, as there is under Win. (Mind you, the Win
>mechanism isn't at all robust, but at least there is something. On the
>other hand, there is much less need on the Mac for something like
>that.) So, at this point, you're pretty much left at the mercy of the
>application's developer for the uninstall process.

Thanks for the explanation. Just one more question: Is this need
to de-install something new for OS X? I never needed to de-install
under OS 9, that I remember.

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design
G4 733mHz (OS X 10.2.0/Classic) | Graphite iBook 333mHz (OS 9.0.2)
mailto:earthpigz at earthlink.net
http://www.downtoearthweb.com