[G4] Putting an ATA HD in Zip drive bay?

VS vs1 at dax.nu
Sat Oct 16 04:35:24 PDT 2004

At 22.49 -0400 04-10-15, john wrote:
>The manual for my AGP Graphics G4 says not to put more than 3 hard
>drives in the lower drive bays. Presumably from power consumption
>considerations...is this a hard and fast rule?
>
>Related question: Is it possible to put a hard drive in the Zip
>drive bay (lower bay of optical drive carrier)?

I have put a third hard drive in the ZIP drive bay of my G4 (AGP, 500
MHz), and it is a little bit slower, because the bus is a bit slower,
but that was no problem for me (also I put my oldest and slowest
drive in that position). Here's a good place to read all about fixing
unorthodox things with the mac:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

The reason for me to choose this set up was that I have no working
Firewire (sigh!) and that I didn't want to spend money on that
ATA-card (every piece of hardware is more expensive in Sweden than in
USA...) just to be able to use three drives.

/ Vicki