[G4] Virus and Mac OS X?

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 12 05:24:42 PST 2005

On 12-Dec-05, at 6:59 AM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Virus and Mac OS X?
> To: "A place to discuss Apple's G4 computers."
> 	<g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
> On 12/12/2005 9:00 AM, "Kristen" <kriss at pobox.mtaonline.net> wrote:
>
>> I recieved an email damon message this morning stating all the
>> messages that
>> bounced due to closed mailboxes and do to a virus. So I have to
>> wonder where
>> this virus came from? I thought a Mac OS X can't run a virus since
>> it's
>> Darwin linux. But the
>> emails are returned at my email addy.
>>
>> So let me ask, Will the Mac OS X (Tiger) run a virus and
>> automatically run the
>> email program? BTW, the Mac was in sleep mode. I don't believe it's
>> the Mac.
>>
>> Thank you all!!
>>
>> Kristen
>
> I ran my eMac with out anti-virus for a few months. Within a short
> time I
> was getting spam attacks that appear to be coming from my own computer.
>
> Even if that were so, I still ended up with an IP black listing for
> spam. So I installed Intego AV and it found... No viruses. Then I
> installed a
> router. The problem stopped instantly.

>  It appears a virus on another machine was
> somehow using my address to do it's dirty work, and I was getting
> blamed for
> it. That would have been a disaster if my hosting service had
> cancelled my
> account as it could do according to the agreement with them.
>
> So, ... logical step may be to get
> your machines behind a router if you haven't got one already.
>
> Best of luck,
> Tony

Tony:

I have a router and that does not stop someone else from using your
address as the return path on spam.  It has happened to me - I was
getting bounce messages from undeliverable spam sent from my address.

I emailed my ISP and they took a look at it and the problem stopped as
suddenly as it appeared.  You should inform your ISP whenever your
legitimate mail is blocked as spam, as it is really their domain that
is being blocked.  If it is a good ISP they will contact the listmaker
and get removed from the blacklist, and consequently, your email will
then not be bounced.

The blacklist companies do not block individuals addresses but the
entire domain (and all its individual users).

That all said, I highly recommend a Router - inexpensive and very
effective.

jj