[G4] Has hell frozen over?

John Wilson wilsonjohn at mac.com
Tue Jun 7 09:27:59 PDT 2005

 It's naive to think that Apple is going to release a version of Tiger (or any future OS) that will run on a non-Apple Intel machine. They will require consumers to purchase an Apple/Intel machine that has a proprietary mobo or some other hardware-specific authentication. That way they'll continue to be able to control the hardware configuration(s) and avoid the Windows nightmare of trying to provide drivers for every peripheral in the known universe. Nothing else will really need to change. Just as now, you'll have to buy Apple computers and system software from Apple. No doubt some enterprising souls will try to write code that will enable non-Apple PC's to run OS X but when it doesn't work or won't recognize peripherals, network settings, etc., who is going to provide support? Not Apple.