[G4] How do I connect a Powermac G4 400 DVD to a beige Powermac G3?

Alex Hurst corkflor at iol.ie
Wed Jun 22 06:45:15 PDT 2005

Hi there all. A question from a G4 newbie in Cork, Ireland, which I
hope you won't find too taxing.

I've been a Mac freak for the best part of 15 years. Here in Ireland
I have a beige G3 and a G3 Firewire Powerbook at home. At work
there's a fairly ancient Powermac 7500, and I have another beige G3
in England. The G3s all run under Mac OS 9.2.2.

Next week I'll be making my first excursion into G4 territory when I
pick up from the UK a tower G4 400 DVD which I recently purchased on
ebay. This apparently can either run Mac OS 9 or Mac OSX 10.2.3,
which suits me fine as I want to ensure that my Classic programs will
still run as before.

Obviously I'll want to download a lot of files from my existing beige
G3 and its four SCSI hard drives on to the G4.

Can any of you knowledgeable people out there tell me what the best
solution is for a fast and reliable temporary link between these two
machines, given the G3 is serial and SCSI based, while the G4 is USB?

Also, any views on what the best SCSI card would be for the G4, as
I'll eventually want to connect my existing SCSI scanners and drives
to the G4.

Best

Alex

--
Alex Hurst
Waterfall

Tel: +353 214 543 328 (H)
        +353 214 270 907 (W)

Fax: +353 214 271 248
email: corkflor at iol.ie
Also: corkflor.2 at virgin.net (when in the UK, which isn't often)
Home website: http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/
Business website: http://www.corkflorists.com/

Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) public key available at:
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371
ID: 0x5BB72019