[G4] NetInfo Admin with Mac OS X Client

Perry The Cynic perry at cynic.org
Thu Jun 30 08:38:26 PDT 2005

--On June 30, 2005 10:12:58 AM -0400 Carlos <carlos3543 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for the help on the "Join Two HFS Volumes" thread,
> and Alex for pointing me toward NetInfo. I've read the "Understanding
> NetInfo" guide, and I have one major question. While the guide makes  it
> sound like you can do everything with OS X Client, when it gets  into the
> specifics of setting up domains it only covers OS X Server  tools. Now, I
> don't have OS X Server. Specifically, I don't have  "NetInfo Domain
> Setup". Does anyone know how to accomplish the  NetInfo administration
> using tools available on the OS X Client?

There's the Netinfo Manager application in Applications/Utilities. It's an
odd, long-neglected application, but it is handy for small edits of
existing domains. It can't set up new domains.

Beyond that, you'll have to use the command-line tools. Say "man netinfo"
in Terminal. (There may be third-party utilities, too. Netinfo stems from
the NeXT days, so it's been around a long time.)

Cheers
  -- perry