[G4] External Drive Case Firewire vs. USB 2

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Thu Aug 3 12:21:07 PDT 2006

Dick ( + )!( + )

A Power Macintosh computer can  read a Macintosh formatted disk or a
DOS formatted disk. If you  are using a windows based computer in one
location and a Macintosh  in another, using DOS formatting will allow
you to use the same  disk in either computer. Furthermore, if you have
the same  application on each computer you can create a document on one
  computer platform (Mac or IBM) and edit the document on the other
computer platform (IBM or Mac).

See http://www.internet4classrooms.com/format_disk.htm

As the low-level format of a Mac OSX disk is very different than a
Windows disk.
And if you don't format the disk for the Mac OSX then you won't be able
to use it as a boot disk.

Proceed with caution.