[G4] Speakers Interfering with Monitors

Richard Klein rich at richardklein.org
Fri Aug 4 03:57:09 PDT 2006

Ron Michaels wrote:
> I just installed some new Logitech Z-2300 speakers. The sound is great
> and I love them. The woofer is between my two 19-inch NEC monitors.
> Suddenly my monitors have "screwed up" color. There's nothing in the
> manual about this. Has this ever happened to you and if so, what do you
> do about it. I can't imagine what would cause this interference from an
> electrical standpoint, but I'm a relative novice. I have a G4, mirror
> door, 1.25mhz with OS 10.3.9.
> Thanks for any help.

It's the magnet in the subwoofer pulling the guns in the CRTs off track.
  I don't think there's anything you can do about it except to move the
subwoofer away from the monitors.  If the monitors' color doesn't then
return to normal, try waving something a wand degausser across the
screen.  I'm not sure where you can buy them anymore.  When I was a kid
and I screwed up our TV by putting a magnet-mount CB antenna on top of
it, I fixed it with a wand degausser from Radio Shack, but they don't
seem to sell them anymore.  Dan's Data covers the subject in the letter
"Painting with magnets!":
http://www.dansdata.com/danletters042.htm

It's only a problem for CRTs.  If/when you upgrade to LCD monitors
you'll be able to put your subwoofer back between them with no ill effects.

Good luck!
-- Rich