[G4] upgraded to 10.3 but my classic programs

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Aug 4 21:06:49 PDT 2006

On 4 August, 2006, at 12:41:21, james basim wrote:

> I had an older version of photoshop and ms office on my G4 sawtooth,
> Running OS 9.2 and everything was fine, but then I upgraded to 10.3
> and
> now both apps say they can only run in classic mode. How can I get
> my new
> OS to boot or run these apps in classic mode?

When you did the upgrade to OS-X, did you do a total erasure of the
drive? If you did, you lost your installed OS-9 which could have
become your "Classic" environment for running legacy programs while
booting into OS-X. I have seen that OS-X wants to do a full erasure
before installing the OS and I believe that is because OS-X wants or
needs to be the "first in line" in the drive boot sectors.

One work-around is to do a "Clean Install" of OS-9 onto your drive
and then use the OS-X system preferences to select that OS folder as
your Classic environment for running all your legacy programs.

Another work-around is to install OS-9 on a second drive and select
it as your Classic environment instead of the first option. This
would give you a second drive that could be used as a backup archive
or as an emergency boot drive. Good benefits to have on hand.

Hope this helps.