[G4] 3rd HD - - Tired subject, sorry...

Slip Kid G-2 at att.net
Tue Aug 8 10:46:56 PDT 2006

First, my posts bounce back (and some eventually appear) - - Why, I do
not know?

My rig:

Power Mac G4 [GE]
PowerMac3,3
CPU  PowerPC G4  (2.9)
400 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU):	1 MB
512 MB
Bus 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version:	4.2.8f1
OSX 10.4.7
Disc 0 - - 80Gig
Disc 1 - - 120Gig
(I can boot from either disc, my 'plan' only involves using a 3rd disc
for storage)

Anyway, I realize the 3rd disc has been addressed here and on Usenet.
Sorry, I'm unable to get a firm "yes/no" regarding if I can use the Zip
IDE for an HD.
[Agan, it will not be used to boot or to execute apps - -  only for xtra
storage.]

(It's also confusing that the 'bottom' bay will accept a skuz..and not
an ATA?
That is, my manual shows a 3rd HD in the HD bay - - Why not a 3rd ATA,
there?...

So, near as I can tell it is 'possible' to plant an HD on the Zip cable?
(Just that, not a new IDE fix...simply hook the 3rd HD to the Zip cable
(And no, I have yet to use the Zip...I won't miss it)

But, the drawbacks [?]:
1. "It isn't good" because of
	A. Not any 'place' to 'position the HD safely'. (I read one guy taped
it in?!)
	B. It may not receive proper cooling (but two drives, stacked on the
bottom are staying 'cool'?).

 >---->C. The clincher?
	The speed of the Zip/Rom channels ?
	I. Is it true the Zip won't run an ATA at 'ATA speed'?
My specs show the protocol to be 'ATAPI' - - Is that because I have the
Rom and Zip 'attached'?
	II. Why would the Zip (& Rom) channels be slower (by design/default)?
  	(Disclaimer: I come from the M$ world where a 4 channel IDE doesn't
(AFAIK) discriminate between primary & secondary IDE's.
I can run DMA w/a HD or optical on *any* IDE channel on a winbox)

====
Is the above true?
Is it a deal breaker (prohibiting a 3rd HD on the Zip channel?) from the
speed/placement/cooling limits?

Or:
Is the 'cooling/placement/speed' not true/overblown?

===

# Yes, I can pick up some space by replacing drive 0 w/a larger drive.
# Yes, I can go 'external' (My DVD burner is external and it's not only
doing fine, I can 'share' it w/other machines).

But hey!...I have a spare drive (or 3), I'd rather use it (postpone
spending $'s for storage if a spare will fill my need) on a channel
which is not being used.
Fair, eh?

Sorry to be redundant (boring) but I've only seen the issue end in debate.
There must be a solid "yes/no" & I haven't seen a convincing "No", with
plenty of reasons why hitching a 3rd HD on the Zip cable is just fine.

Thanks,

Michael