[G4] 3rd HD - - Tired subject, sorry...

Richard Klein rich at richardklein.org
Thu Aug 10 16:43:12 PDT 2006

Slip Kid wrote:

> I'll open a can o'worms:
> I've had great success with an i/OMagic DVD (USB) burner which is happy
> with the Winboxes and the G4 GE.
> Any reason not use 200+Gig drive, (external/USB) format it to the G4
> limit and use the excess for FAT32?
> Yes, it is 'spending money' (the 3rd drive fix would would use a spare).
> I'm thinking it might be worth it to max out the G4 storage & still have
> xtra for the Winboxes.
> (Anyone using a $30 USB 'shell/case' & slipping a HD in?
> That combo-homemade external saves $'s over an out-of-the-box external...

I don't think the G4 limit applies to external drives, so you should be
able to use the entire capacity of the drive for your Mac.  However, the
USB ports on the Gigabit Ethernet are USB 1.1, which is far, far slower
than the newer USB 2.0.  I wouldn't want to use a hard drive over USB
1.1.  Try to find a external Firewire drive instead of a USB one.

--
Rich