[G4] 3rd HD - - Tired subject, sorry...

Slip Kid G-2 at att.net
Thu Aug 10 16:34:23 PDT 2006

I'll try address James' and Ronald's replies in a single note:

First Ronald... I know understand the reason(s) the HD bays can only
accept two ATA drives.

OTOH, regarding:
Me:
  > > I can run DMA w/a HD or optical on *any* IDE channel on a winbox)
You:
"Not without making sure of the IDE identification for each device on
the bus. An ID conflict can cause your winbox multiple problems.

Since '97  (W98, W2k, W98 and XP in P-233 -  - P4 boxes) I've never
considered (or experienced) 1 of the 4 IDE channels to be 'different'
from another.
I've run HD's, Opitical (CD/DVD) in all but the 'Master 0'...I've never
had a problem with a device being recognized as DMA and running at rated
speed.
I merely ID the device in the BIOS and it boots w/full (equal?) status
on all channels.
So, I've never given a thought "which" IDE channel was faster/different
(than another) in a Winbox.

James wrote:
"Music is generally ok and video plays fine in QT just not under
pressure."
Me:
It would be for staging/storage until I can move data to CD/DVD (or the
M$box).
With a 400Mhz CPU, that is my 'slow link' & I still have to use the P4
for video work anyway...
Then:
"On the QS i had to half remove the whole metal unit holding both
things and shove the disc in and then attach the IDE when it was
almost al the way back in. Not a long cable."

Though the Zip will never be used I didn't plan to 'renovate', either.
No, it doesn't sound beyond my ability to destroy...I'd hoped to 'leave
the Zip' and simply attach power/ribbon to a HD.

=====

I'll open a can o'worms:
I've had great success with an i/OMagic DVD (USB) burner which is happy
with the Winboxes and the G4 GE.
Any reason not use 200+Gig drive, (external/USB) format it to the G4
limit and use the excess for FAT32?
Yes, it is 'spending money' (the 3rd drive fix would would use a spare).
I'm thinking it might be worth it to max out the G4 storage & still have
xtra for the Winboxes.
(Anyone using a $30 USB 'shell/case' & slipping a HD in?
That combo-homemade external saves $'s over an out-of-the-box external...

Michael