[G4] 3rd HD - - Tired subject, sorry...

Slip Kid G-2 at att.net
Sun Aug 13 06:05:48 PDT 2006

Me;

+

>> (Anyone using a $30 USB 'shell/case' & slipping a HD in?
>> That combo-homemade external saves $'s over an out-of-the-box external...

Richard:

> I don't think the G4 limit applies to external drives,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[?]
Cool!

> However, the
> USB ports on the Gigabit Ethernet are USB 1.1, which is far, far slower
> than the newer USB 2.0.  I wouldn't want to use a hard drive over USB
> 1.1.  Try to find a external Firewire drive instead of a USB one.

Yep!  [done did it]
...needed the USB 2.0 for the burner...$15 for the card.
It's even read on the LAN by winboxes...(PatchBurn & SharePoins are nice)
If anyone had a Q. about an external DVD burner - The 'cheap' I/OMagic
gets nice user reviews and is happy w/the G4.
2.0 is over 400Mbs...good enough for the external HD, I think.

 >>>---> Anyone using a '$30 USB box' and insert a drive "of choice"?

Michael