[G4] Re: 3rd HD

Richard M. Kriss rmkriss at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 13 06:10:54 PDT 2006

On 8/12/06 9:42 PM, "g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com"
<g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com> wrote:

> I don't think the G4 limit applies to external drives, so you should be
> able to use the entire capacity of the drive for your Mac.  However, the
> USB ports on the Gigabit Ethernet are USB 1.1, which is far, far slower
> than the newer USB 2.0.  I wouldn't want to use a hard drive over USB
> 1.1.  Try to find a external Firewire drive instead of a USB one.
>
> --
> Rich

I have a G4-1GHz-AGP and ran three drives for months.  I ran two ATA's (160
and 200 GB that formatted to 128 GB) and one SATA.  The SATA was installed
on the floor of the case if the place reserved for a SCSI drive. I was able
to use the SATA via a PCI-SATA card.  It worked fine.

I just sold the SATA card and plan to put the SATA drive in an external case
interfaced via USB 2.0. Yes I have a Belkin USB card that adds 4 USB 2.0
slots.  The external case that has been ordered is will accept either SATA
or ATA drives.  I could not find a combo case with Firewire and SATA.

I wonder if you can boot one of the new Intel Macs from an external USB 2.0
drive?  I don't think it will boot with my G4. All of the drive changing is
to get ready for the replacement Mac that will come sometime soon.