[G4] System profiler and PC-133 RAM

nagable at comcast.net nagable at comcast.net
Fri Aug 18 13:03:32 PDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I have a fussy computer (Quicksilver 2002 800 MHz originally, upgraded processor to Sonnet 1.8GHz dual).  I get a lot of freezes, usually while on the Internet or in the e-mail app on the Internet.  I ran disk repair from another startup disk (fixed a lot of stuff) and disabled Classic, but still get the ocasional freeze--it fact i was kicked out twice while writing this.

I thought the problem might be because the System profiler reads the RAM at PC100.  It's OWC RAM, probably about 2 years old.  I didn't look at the chip, just figured maybe I bought cheap RAM to years ago and settled for PC100.   I called OWC Tech support and asked if that might cause a problem and they said it might, so I ordered 3 more PC 133 512MB chips, thinking I might sell the PC-100 to old iMac owners.

The chips came, I installed them and checked the profiler.  It still read that the chips were PC-100!  I looked at the labels on the chips I removed, and they, too, were PC 133.

What's up with that? Any ideas?  OWC tech support is next on my list of calls.  I don't need 5 chips for three slots.

Nate