[G4] System profiler and PC-133 RAM

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 13:52:55 PDT 2006

On Aug 18, 2006, at 1:03 PM, nagable at comcast.net wrote:

> I have a fussy computer (Quicksilver 2002 800 MHz originally,
> upgraded processor to Sonnet 1.8GHz dual). I get a lot of freezes,
> usually while on the Internet or in the e-mail app on the Internet.

Before or after the CPU upgrade?

> I ran disk repair from another startup disk (fixed a lot of stuff)
> and disabled Classic, but still get the occasional freeze--it fact
> i was kicked out twice while writing this.

Lots of freezes can certainly lead to lots of disk problems due to
unclosed files and unflushed buffers and caches.

Freeze as in locks up (mouse and/or keyboard stop responding) or as
in a translucent grey screen indicating a kernel crash? In either
case this should happen rarely, something is definitely wrong with
your computer. It's time to break out your hardware test CD. Also you
may want to look into this: http://www.memtestosx.org/

Phil