[G4] Re: Backup Strategy for G4 to Ext Dive

Richard M. Kriss rmkriss at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 18 14:40:15 PDT 2006

> Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:48:56 -0700
> From: Jamie Pruden
> They exist...
>
> http://www.cooldrives.com/saiitofi80al.html
>
> Kinda steep, but I'm sure the price will come down in the future...
>
> smiles,
> Jamie

Ditto on the 'steep' price.  I paid <$30 for the Sabrent ECS-STU35K Combo
SATA/ATA USB 2.0 case and it is working much better today.  The previous
report of it being very slow with my Belkin 2.0 PCI card was cockpit
problems on my end. Once I figured out what I was doing wrong it started
working better.

FYI.... this morning I had my Seagate SATA drive mounted in the enclosure
with the top off and an older Western Digital ATA sitting on top and they
both showed up on the desktop.  Pretty cool for doing backups.  This setup
would be near perfect if Sabrent has a firewire interface.

It is my understanding the newer Intel based Mac's can boot from a USB drive
so I may be okay when I retire this old G4.

Dick