[G4] Re: Super Duper Cloning software/Stuck

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 17 06:47:02 PST 2007

--- Marla <mitchnickpictures at yahoo.com> wrote:
> But is it really OK to upgrade my firmware (I
> already
> know which versions I have and need) on this old
> drive? It does seem the simplest thing, but someone
> told me that in rare cases, upgrading your firmware
> can render your machine useless...

Firmware is stored in Flash memory on the motherboard.
Flash memory can retain it's data without power, just
like a ROM, but it has the possibility to be
re-programmed. During the process of re-programming
the contents must first be completely erased, before
the new data is written. If the process is interupted,
i.e. you have a power outage, before the Flash is
re-programmed, then your motherboard will not have the
correct instructions to boot up from. Hence the dire
warnings.

The new data for the firmware is, however, coming from
your harddrive. Another risk is that in the instant
that you need your drive to boot the machine and write
the firmware - it dies.....

So I like the suggestion to fit a new drive, install
OS 9 (you have to update from 9), and update your
firmware with your "new" system. You should then be in
good shape to install Tiger on the new drive.

Before installing Tiger on the new drive, re-install
your old hard drive so both are connected (ask if you
are unsure about this).

Boot from the Tiger Install disk and install on the
new drive. During this process Tiger will offer to
import your applications and settings automatically. I
haven't used this myself, but I remember the option.

I say take a deep breath and do it (unless there is a
thunderstorm :-).

Cheers,
            John