[G4] Startup chime but no dice!

Daile Engle macguy47 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 11:07:04 PST 2007

Jay, great stuff here.. so stupid, I should've thought about firewire
disk mode.. man!.. hey, can I FDM with only one mouse keyboard
attached to my G5? don't have one yet for the G4... yes only one
drive in the mdd.. Jeff
On Nov 6, 2007, at 10:44 AM, Jay E. Krauss Jr wrote:

> Jeff,
> 	The MDD is designed to start up in Firewire Target mode. Since
> your G5 has Firewire, you could attempt to boot the MDD with "T"
> depressed (presuming some message gets from the keyboard to the
> MDD's "innards"). I'm not sure how much of the MDD's logic board,
> RAM. etc is required to get into Firewire Target mode, but even if
> there is no video from the MDD, the G5 (if Target mode entered)
> would see the MDD's first (only?) hard drive. You could then
> inspect the drive to see what was on it and (possibly) run repairs
> with Disk Utility, DiskWarrior, TechTool, Drive Genius, etc. This,
> of course, does not permit checking the logic board or RAM of the
> MDD, and even if hard drive access and repairs were possible, the
> MDD may still not boot if there is a logic board or RAM problem.
> 	Just a thought.
> Jay

Jeff & (my wife)Daile Engle
Kamiah, Idaho 83536
macguy47 at gmail.com

PowerMac G5 1.8 Single (wefixmacs build) 3 gb ram,(1) 160gbhd, (1)
400gbhd, APC 1200 ups, canon 8600f scanner, Brother HL1440 printer,
Dell e228wfp monitor

Recently acquired: G4 MDD Dual 1.25 (2003) with problems :-)