[G4] Drives?

Doug Burton slugg0 at embarqmail.com
Thu Jan 31 10:29:52 PST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008, at 1:03 PM, John Niven wrote:

> Doug,
>
> you didn't answer the question. So explain to us why
> you think 1.5Gb/s is the same as 150Mb/s ?
>
> Since the industry chooses to specify SATA drives that
> way, I thought it would less confussing to use the
> marketing terms you see on the package.
>
> John

It's not the same and I never said it was.  Here is the original quote
from YOUR post.

--------
The analogy: parallel ATA hose uses a wide, low
pressure pipe to fill a bucket, whereas serial ATA
uses a thin pipe but running at a very high pressure
to push the same, or more, water through in a given
time.

ATA133 = 133Mbytes per second.
SATA = 1.5Gbits per second.

I believe these two are comparable in throughput.
--------

As you can see, YOU said it was comparable and I was simply pointing
out how confusing it is to compare Mbytes to Gbits when the truth of
the matter is there is only 17 Mbytes difference between the two.  As
far as how the industry refers to SATA drives I've never seen it
expressed in Gbits.  Most use SATA (150) or SATA (300), which refers
to 150 Mbytes per second or 300 Mbytes per second.  The HD industry
has always had confusing labeling terms when it comes to selling their
drives and have made a habit of expressing capacities in confusing
terms.  I'm sure they will do everything they can to confuse us even
further with the new interface terms and speeds.  I was just trying to
show the difference in the two speeds (PATA vs. SATA) in simple terms
and that was all I meant by it.  I was seeking to clarify, not
criticize.

Just a simple message from Doug...