[G4] monitor gone yellow

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Tue Sep 16 09:58:26 PDT 2008

At 11:33 -0500 9/16/08, Margaret Krakowiak wrote:
>This morning in the middle of reading email,
>my monitor suddenly went yellow. It's like a clear
>yellow overlay - anything white is yellow, and it overlays
>other colors, like my blue desktop background is now green.
>I turned the monitor off and on, rebooted, no change.
>It's a ViewSonic monitor, a CRT, not flat panel.

Red plus green makes yellow in spite of what you might have learned in school.

You have lost the blue signal from the video channel for the CRT.

With luck it's a connection problem. Check the video cable. Are the connectors firmly installed with no bent pins? Is the cable damaged? Do you have a cat?

It's also possible that an internal connection on the monitor has become loose. Get some advice about 30 kilovolts if you go inside.

Older monitors have, hidden somewhere, red, blue, and green "drive" controls that sometimes fail like the volume pot on a radio. If the blue wiper is dirty or corroded it can make your yellow.

The worst case is that the blue electron gun has failed inside of the tube. In that case you need a new flat panel screen and you'll likely have to pay someone to discard the "hazardous" monitor for you.
--

--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--