[G4] G4 Power Supply

shopdog at mac.com shopdog at mac.com
Mon Sep 22 09:46:45 PDT 2008

All:

I have an AGP Graphics machine (model M7824LZ/B).

It's upgraded with a 1.2GHz Sonnet processor.  It has a Pioneer
DVR-105 in it, and the original Zip drive.

Does anyone know how many internal hard drives it will support, power-
wise?

It has 4 power ports on the power cable for hard drives, and I'm using
2 of those for 2 hard drives on the original IDE bus.

Will the existing power supply support 4 more IDE drives?  I can get
them in the chassis using 2 "Dual Drive Bracket"s, one each in drive
bays 1 and 2, and I can get them to communicate with the motherboard
via a PCI card (ACARD AEC-6280M) that has 2 IDE ports, but the only
way to supply power to these four new drives is to use Y-adapters off
the remaining 2 power ports.

However, I don't know if the existing power supply will support all of
this.

If not, can I use a Quicksilver 344W power supply instead, in this
machine?

Thanks for any advice anyone has...

shopdog