[G4] Re: G4 Digest, Vol 49, Issue 9

Ben Smith ben.smith at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 19 09:30:51 PDT 2008

> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 02:58:28 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Kevin Walsh <walsh_kevin_t at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [G4] MDD G4 has some quirks
> To: g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
>
> Just got my dirty paws on a Mirror Drive Door model PowerMac, wanna run down a list of quirks with you brainiacs to see if there's any fixes round the bend.
>
> stubborn power button: The normal slight touch won't work to turn it on. The guy I bought it from showed me how to firmly push the power button while pulling at the back, I've found a hard knock will do the trick.  The button it's self is a bit shaky and seems after all the use has lost pressure.  Is this a replaceable part?  Would a newer keyboard with a power-on work instead. the old iMac keyboard i've hooked up won't power it up.
>
> loud power supply: I guess it's he power supply, might just be the fan - whichever - it starts up quiet but will gradually make it to warp 9.5 and is just annoying - that's all
>
> attempting 2 gigs of RAM:  It came with 2 sticks of 512 ram, I threw another 2 sticks in there and it won't recognize a 4th stick.   Now, I've heard about this before, but forget what the deal is.
>
> opening the cd tray:  There's no eject button on the exterior as most of you are familiar.  I'm able to trick it to open through iTunes.  As indicated above, I'm using an old iMac keyboard - soon to upgrade that - should one with the eject key work?
>
> Adobe CS3: thinking about buying it, any reason why it would not work?  specs below.
>
> OS: 10.4.11
> Dual 1 GHz, PowerPC G4 (2.1), 1.5 GB ram, firmware: 4.4.8f2
> video - AGP, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX, (no PCI card)
> tons of HD space, not worried about that
>
> appreciate any insight - Kevin

The power button is a common fault, the Apple service manual covers its
replacement, however you will probably find that if you press one edge
of it it will work ok, I don't think you can use a power button on a
keyboard with the MDD (but someone may well prove me wrong).
There is an eject menu in System > Library > CoreServices > Menu Extras
that will put an eject icon in the toolbar at the top of the screen. (I
install it on every Mac I use).
The noisy PSU is standard, not for nothing were they called "Windtunnel"
However you may get it quieter by blowing out the dust (especially at
the lower front of the case, the air inlet is hidden and tends to fill
with fluff). also removing the heatsink and replacing the dried up
heatsink compound can help.
The MDD is not too fussy about memory, both of mine see 4 sticks (2GB
total in each), however if one of yours is 'double bank' then that may
well cause the problems you are seeing as it will be using 2 chip select
lines.
However if you are using OS9 it can only see 1.5GB, you need OSX to see
2GB, also be aware that the MDD has it's own version of 9.2.2 and cannot
use the standard retail version (but is fine with retail OSX 10.2.8 or
higher).
I have not used CS3 so cannot help you there, but CS2 runs fine (As does
OSX 10.5.5)
Ben.