[G4] FW: G4 Disk Capacity Limit - Real or Logical?

shopdog at mac.com shopdog at mac.com
Fri Sep 19 07:37:38 PDT 2008

Hello everyone:

I have a PowerMac G4 AGP Graphics machine (the same one I've posted
about before).

This machine, I believe, has the 128GB disk capacity limit, at least
according to Apple's official stance.

I have a few questions that some of the gurus on this list might be
able to answer:

1) I have the machine currently set up with 2 IDE hard drives, stacked
in "Position 3" in the chassis: the original drive, 20GB (actually
19.1GB), and a second, 120GB (actually 115GB). These are RAIDed
together via OS X, into a 133.9GB combined drive.  I've been using the
machine in this manner for over 2 years, with no ill effects.  Does
this mean that there is a physical disc capacity limit of 128GB limit,
but not a limit as to how many such 128GB physical discs can be RAIDed
together to span their combined capacity?

2) There are two other spaces for hard drives, "Position 2" and
"Position 1".  Although originally meant for SCSI drives, I believe
these will accommodate IDE drives, but it is my understanding that the
IDE bus will only allow 2 IDE drives in the chain.  Is that true?  If
it is not true, what cables to I need to get in order to chain the two
new drives to the previous 2?  If it is true, then how do I add 2 more
drives?  With a PCI card, I suppose?  Are there any other ways?

3) Is it possible to purchase brackets to use in "Position 2" and
"Position 1", so that those Positions will accommodate stacked drives,
the way "Position 3" does?  Of course, I could pull the brackets from
another G4 (which I don't have), but can the bracket be purchased
separately, or is there a suitable substitute bracket?

3) Has anyone successfully replaced the internal Zip drive with an IDE
drive?

4) Regarding these "hardware hack" commands on a previous post (from
J.M.P. Hissell) to enable the higher disk capacity:

> ATA-2 commands:
>
> #! /bin/bash -
>
> if kextstat -lb com.apple.driver.KeyLargoATA | grep -F -q
> KeyLargoATA &&
> ! ioreg -rStp IODeviceTree -n ata-2 -w0 | grep -F -q lba-48
> then read -rd $'\000' nvram nvramrc <<< "`nvram nvramrc 2>&-`"
> if sudo nvram 'use-nvramrc?=true' \
> nvramrc='dev mac-io/ata-2 0 0 " lba-48" property device-end'"
> $nvramrc"
> then echo '48-bit LBA support will be enabled on the next reboot.'; fi
> fi

How are these commands actually implemented?  I've never attempted
anything like this before.  If anyone could provide some detail, that
would be great.

Thanks, everyone!