[G4] G4 Power Supply

Luke Rademacher lz4broc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 11:24:10 PDT 2008

Most of these older G4 Towers were only specced to handle 2 HD's.
Hence the Power Supply has enough power connectors for the Zip and
Optical and a main Hd and a slave.

Beyond adding video card or other card, you are going to drain out
your Power Supply trying to add more internal devices.  You can use Y
adapters but more power drain from your system the less the
performance will be.

And no Power supply from a higher end model won't help. Quicksilvers
and MDD PSU's are meant for their respective systems.

If you are really gung ho however, You can rig an ATX Power supply to
run your G4 AGP model. There is a page called www.xlr8yourmac.com
there is an older link for converting ATX PSU's to work on various
Mac models. If you are comfortable with a Soldering Gun then go for it.

FWIW, if you want more HD space why not add externally? External HD's
often have their own power and attach via FireWire.

Peace,

Luke Rademacher
Liquid Zone Graphics
Mac mini 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 80GB HD, Combo DVD/CDRW,
Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.4, ext NewerTech miniStack w/ 320GB HD.
MDD Dual 1.25Ghz G4, 2GB RAM, 250GB/120GB/80GB HD's, 16x DL DVD±R/RW
Superdrive, Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.11, Classic Mac OS 9.2.2.
Intel Celeron 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, Ubuntu Linux 8.04
5.5th gen 80GB Enhanced Video iPod
Canon CanoScan 8400F
Canon Pixma iP4500