[G4] G4 Power Supply

shopdog at mac.com shopdog at mac.com
Mon Sep 22 11:47:26 PDT 2008

Luke:

Thank you for the information.  I was afraid that this would be the
reality.

I have several external firewire drives, but have several bare drives
lying around.  I guess I'd to avoid more clutter, and throwing these
into the empty space in the G4 seemed like a decent idea.

This G4 has two more unused power plugs in it.  From what I've read,
the system was designed to handle 2 IDE and 2 SCSI drives.

I guess I'm wondering if it will handle 6 IDE drives instead.

I think I can safely add 2 more drives, but perhaps not 4 more.

I'm trying to determine, if I go the ATX route, how high I need to
go.  I'm having trouble determining the power draw for most of the
components.

I believe my G4 power supply supports 200W.

I'm told by Sonnet that my 1.2GHz CPU upgrade is 40W.

Hitachi (after some time) told me that the hard drives I have use 10W
during the activities that use the most wattage.  6 drives is
obviously 60W.

I have yet to determine the power consumption for the Zip drive, the
Pioneer DVR-105, the motherboard, the fans, etc.

If anyone knows these, that would be great.  I'll keep digging.

I could just go with a 500W power supply-- that should be plenty!

shopdog