[G4] G4 Power Supply

johnnyg johnnyg at gorge.net
Tue Sep 23 00:10:31 PDT 2008

I have been snaking the cables out of my computers for ten years or more
now, running a fistfull of drives (especially when they were only 1gb or
less) and using external power supplies that I bought used many years
ago.  I think I bought about a dozen or more power supplies for 2 bucks
each..something like that..some kind of pc server supplies I think.  But
they come with 6-8 standard plugs and are probably 400 watts or more with
their own cooling fans...I just pluck it down next to the computer and
plug in a drive, lay the drive in front of the airflow from the power
supply and sometimes I even stack the drives with rubber cushions....3-5
high.  They are a bit loud but at one time I even build a little noise
reduction box, and another time I ran a longer cable and put some in a
closet.  I think you had to keep it six feet or less.....They all worked
fine for many years...I even think they run cooler than being cooped up
in the cases.  And I just got used to the noise as they (the power
supplies) have some real air moving fans.  I had over ten  drives at
least one or two times for a few years going back to the quadra 650 days,
but figured the system "maintenance" wasn't worth pushing the limits and
when I cut back to half a dozen hard drives,  things ran smoother for
many more months it seemed.

But now with these larger drives, my whole world is getting less
cluttered.....and quieter too.

John