G4 Digest, Vol 49, Issue 10, Re: [G4] FW: G4 Disk Capacity Limit - Real or Logical?

Mike Bechtold wmb1204 at fuse.net
Tue Sep 23 05:35:32 PDT 2008

Shopdog: I'm the guy that began that thread. I attempted the
hack that is suggested, but found that I didn't know enough
Unix to implement it.

I found a second way, which is to implement the same fix with
Open Firmware:

http://nanchatte.wordpress.com/2008/04/27/128gb-large-hdd-lba48-support-on-the-g4-cube-with-leopard/

I implemented it on my own G4 DA fairly easily. Once you
boot into Open Firmware, you simply type in each line
exactly as shown, and then hit "enter". The line you just
typed disappears, which is a bit disconcerting, but if you
enter it exactly as shown, and hit enter for each line,
after you reboot, you're good to go. I used it to install
a second 250 GB HD in my own machine, and it's worked fine;
the system recognizes the additional capacity on the HD,
and so far has read and written to it without difficulty.

I did arrange partitions on the new drive to put OS9 on
the first partition, and simply open space on the second
and third, if that makes any difference for you.

If anything goes wrong, you can reset the system to its
factory settings by with the pram reset, so it's a
fairly low-risk experiment.

- Michael B. in Cincinnati